Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Netbooks update

I bought one. A Dell inspiron mini 9 for $180 ($169 + tax) from the outlet website. Its the minimum configuration with 512 MB RAM and 4 GB SSD memory running Ubuntu Linux. For the price its simply great. I will compliment the system with a 4 GB or 8 GB SDHC card. Eagerly waiting for the delivery. Today they will release the mini 10 model and so expect more deals on mini 9 and mini 12. I don't think there will be a cheaper deal in the near future.
 
Another good deal that I read about was the sale on ASUS Eee PC 900a in Best Buy stores. The reported prices varied from $160 - $200 in different areas. It is also a good deal but it should be noted that it has very low backup. Its reported to have less than 1 hr 30 mins whereas the mini 9 has about 3 hrs 30 mins.
 
Once I get the system I will also explore online file storage and remote desktop access to my laptop and work server. I might add more RAM later. For Windows netbooks there are several options like Zumo drive, MS Live Mesh and Gladinet for extra storage and remote access. But the Linux models are always cheaper ones.

0 comments: