Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Scientology, Stupidity

When I was a fresh graduate after my undergrad studies I used to believe that education would cure most of world's problems. In retrospect I see how naive it was of me. I had the notion that the US is a rich country with an educated population where things are close to prefect barring a few exceptions. I thought people here would not be easily swayed by false idealogies. Then two incidents changed my mind. First was Tom Cruise's Scientology inspired psycho rants. Here was an educated, successful man who was somehow subverted by this nasty religion. It is a powerful religion with several celebrities (and lawyers) enrolled. How could this happen? Second was the evolution vs intelligent design debate which was even worse. It was a sad day when established scientists had to oblige to debate with religious zealots who thought they were qualified after a few hours of reading on the net. The best answer to these morons is here.

From what I know, the first time the truth about Scientology was revealed was in South Park season 9 episode 12. It is an amazing episode and I suggest you watch it at www.southparkstudios.com. Scientology spreads by preying on peoples' insecurities. I have myself seen their special meter when I was in Tampa. They seemed innocuous and I believe the first trial is free. Once they get someone hooked on to it they start asking for money. They frame charges against anyone who opposes them and discredit any former followers who reveal their secrets. Sounds like it does not have any ideals of justice like other religions. According to this article they regularly engage in violence and are more fraudulent than I had thought.

Education is obviously not enlightenment, only a means to it. Though literacy is becoming widespread don't think that stupidity central, the dark force that turns unsuspecting people stupid, is taking it lying down. It constantly reinvents itself and mutates into disguises that dupe the masses into taking it for wisdom. Think of the global warming disbelievers, intelligent design proponents and most troubling, the republicans. This is ofcourse not limited to the US. The ongoing Hindutva movement that has hit the educated Indian middle class is IMHO an example (not equating hindutva and scientology here). The richest Indians are probably outside the country. They are highly educated and very succesful people. And they do selective abortions in us and uk even after living for generations in cultures where a girl child is not viewed as a burden.

So where is all this going? To the Dilbert principle ofcourse. People are stupid. You, me, all of us. Its just that some of us are not stupid all the time.

0 comments: